Movement Labs (formerly Resistance Labs) is a not-for-profit movement incubator and the leading peer-to-peer text political consultancy supporting progressives and grassroots activists nationwide. Our clients span both establishment and movement efforts, from senior Democratic Congressional leadership to Black Lives Matter. We sent over 150 million texts and were an important tool used in many of the critical wins of the 2020 elections.
At Movement Labs, our mission is to build a country that works for everyone. We combine data, technology and experimental methods with an army of passionate volunteers to build power. We use peer-to-peer texting to help grassroots organizing, recruit candidates to run for office, and help those candidates win. We look for opportunities to work in red and rural areas, and with communities that have too often been ignored.
We’re seeking a talented social justice worker to assist the Advocacy Director to manage the execution of our text banks for our Advocacy Text Grantees as well as rapid response support for other partners as moments arise. You’ll manage inbound campaigns, track the progress of our work, and ensure that the organizers on the ground get data to do basebuilding work. You’re comfortable with detail-oriented work, love working with volunteers, and like to solve problems where you see them and help where needed. This opportunity is remote and full time. We are ideally looking for someone who is flexible and can work weekends, especially Saturdays.
About the Advocacy Program
Through our partnership-focused Advocacy Program, we work to drive progressive change at the local, state, and federal levels, and build power in marginalized communities by offering pro-bono text banking, training, strategic research, and other support to directly impacted grassroots groups. Through our inaugural 2021/2022 Advocacy Texting Grant, we are supporting 12 grassroots organizations working to build power and drive progressive change in marginalized communities. with up to $25,000 worth of free texts to identify 5,000 new supporters and pass critical, time-sensitive legislation. We will also provide training and support to help these partner organizations maximize the strategic impact of these texts, and prepare them to incorporate texting into future campaigns. We also help with one-off and rapid response support to grassroots and movement partners as moments and movements call for it; and continually research the organizations doing the best work to support with creative and transformative texting grants.
The Advocacy Associate is a self-directed social justice advocate with a passion for uplifting the work of progressive activists, organizations, and issues. You will support efforts to win key policy advocacy campaigns across the country. You’re excellent at managing fast-moving projects and excited to learn about how great campaigns win. You’ll be working closely with campaigns, partners, and our senior staff; assisting with projects and research, and helping to oversee our intern and volunteer team; reviewing the work of volunteer texters for constant improvement; and ensuring that our texting is integrated with partner field programs.
You’ll support our nationwide network of volunteer texters, helping them answer questions from voters. You’ll build campaigns in Spoke and monitor our peer-to-peer texting platform, ensuring a reliable user experience for our volunteers. You will work with voter file data and have had some experience cutting lists (or are a quick digital skills learner). You’re comfortable with detail-oriented work, love working with volunteers, and like to solve problems where you see them and help where needed.
Like most great organizers, you’re a jack-of-all-trades, someone who’s a generalist that can learn quickly and become an expert at anything. You’re self directed, and like to take ownership to solve problems where you see them and help out where’s needed. No task is too small for you (Data entry, responding to volunteer questions, event logistics? No problem!), but you also love to envision the strategic big picture and are constantly thinking about smarter, faster ways to accomplish what you’re doing without sacrificing quality. You’re the ultimate team player who can pinch hit to push projects to completion.
The role will give you unparalleled visibility into the entire workings of a very complex program as well as the ecosystem of advocacy at the state, local and federal level across the US. It will also set up the right candidate to move into a leadership position over time.
- Work with partners to approve campaign details including scripts, text universe, and target representatives or areas, and manage in-bound texting campaigns through an online submission form.
- Help manage interns and volunteers, keeping projects on track and morale.
- Support the Advocacy Director in other ad hoc duties in whatever capacity is needed – data management, scheduling, proposal editing, etc.
- Research leads generated by volunteers, partners, and movement and press moments, leading to new partnerships and grant projects.
- Assist with Reporting and Tracking specific partner work to ensure best results and practices are learned and strengthen future campaigns.
- Draft internal (Slack & Facebook group) and external (email and social media) content to engage our volunteers and our partner organizations members in the advocacy campaigns.
- Help partner orgs integrate new lists of prospective supporters into their ladder of engagement through specific text outreach, phone banks, and other means.
- Set up internal campaign execution via Asana and Google Sheets and coordinate with Operations team to drive clean campaign execution.
- Build rapid response texting campaigns in the Spoke platform, coordinating with Operations team to maintain timelines.
- Build contact universes from voter files or partner data for use with texting campaigns.
- Monitor ongoing texting in Spoke to ensure timely execution of our campaigns.
- Ensure that our data is clean, updated, and organized.
- Passion for uplifting the work of progressive activists, organizations, and issues.
- Exceptional ability to learn, communicate about and manage new work areas.
- At least one cycle working for a campaign, advocacy or policy in a professional or deeply involved volunteer manner preferred; an understanding of advocacy campaigns and organizing.
- Comfort using peer-to-peer texting programs and digital organizing tools; experience with programs like VAN, Hustle, Spoke, Salesforce, and/or data management systems preferred.
- Impeccable interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly, directly, and patiently with a variety of audiences and partners.
- Clear, concise, and compelling writer.
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented.
- Competence in GoogleDocs, spreadsheets, data management; ability to do basic data analysis and visualization preferred.
- Consulting, strategy, analysis or report-creation experience preferred.
- Constantly look for ways to make our processes more efficient without sacrificing quality.
- A go-getter who drives projects and has the ability to work independently; manage up, down and laterally; and regularly communicate status updates.
- Remote experience preferred.
Compensation is $48,000- $60,000 with full benefits, paid time off and office stipends, depending on experience level.
This opportunity is remote and full time. We are ideally looking for someone who can potentially work some weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply here.